University of Khartoum
English Language Institute
The ELI-PT PC Layout
The layout of the test is as follow:
|Section||Number of questions||Type of questions (may vary)|
|Grammar||10 or 20||*Choose the correct answer|
* Read the sentences and choose the correct ending.
* True or false.
* Complete the summary.
*Fill in the blanks.
* Choose the correct sentence.
* Choose the correct answer.
* Complete the sentence.
*Describe a given graph or a table in 150 words.
* Give your opinion about a topic in 250 words.
*Giving personal information.
* Talk about a picture.
* Give your opinion about a topic.
Raw scores out of 100
Topics for part 3 of the speaking test are:
• Problems that affect your country
• Financial success and how to achieve it
• Poverty and hunger in the Third World
• Crime and punishment
• Fashion and design
• Public transport
• Youth and the problems they face
• The role of television and radio in society
• The influence of the print media
• The changing nature of family life
• Nuclear energy
• World economic solutions
• Diet, health and exercise
• The consequences of global warming
• Recreational facilities in modern cities
• Future energy resources
• The relevance of school examinations
• Materialism and the consumer
• Space travel
• Modern medicine
• Censorship and the Internet
• Types of governments in the world today
• Women in the workplace
• The qualities and skills of a good company manager
• The necessity of a strong defense force
• The advantages of an international language
• The design of modern cities
• The influence of sport in society
• Street protests and individual rights
• Religion and the modern world
• The pros and cons of living in a foreign country
• The meaning of happiness
• Marriage and divorcer
The grading of the speaking test will be according to following criteria:
1. Fluency and Coherence - (Does your speech flow? Can you be easily understood?)
2. Lexical Resource - (Do you use a reasonably wide range of vocabulary in your speech?)
3. Grammatical Range and Accuracy - (Do you use English grammar properly when you speak?)
4. Pronunciation - (Do you use English sounds, stress and intonation patterns etc. correctly?)
The grading of the writing test will be according to the following criteria:
- Task achievement.
- Accuracy in grammar and mechanics (spelling, punctuation).
- Vocabulary choice.
- Clarity of ideas.